Being the mother of a boy I sometimes struggle to fill his hollow legs. He’s hungry, always hungry, but he runs around like a dervish so he burns it off in double quick time. I’ve learnt to always keep a snack upon my person for when he gets hungry, he likes dried fruit, so when I was asked to try Real Handful I knew my son would enjoy putting them to the test.
Real Handful are little 40g packets of dried fruit with nuts and little bits of chocolate mixed in. They feel like a bit of a naughty treat, but are quite healthy and are just the right size to keep a small boy going until teatime. Each of the 40g packets of Real Handful contains around 160-170 calories per packet and are full of good things such as fibre and good fats, as well as being one of your five (or is it seven) a day!
There are six kinds Real Handful available –
- Blood Orange & Dark Chocolate – blood orange flavoured sultanas, orange flavoured cranberries, dark chocolate and peanuts.
- G0-Go-Goji Berries – a blend of nuts, raisins and seeds with goji berries and dark chocolate.
- Blueberry Blitz – blueberries, blueberry flavoured raisins, jumbo flame raisins and whole cashews.
- Strawberries & Cream – strawberry flavoured raisins, strawberries, cranberries, white chocolate and cashews.
- Mixed Berry Crush – blueberry flavoured yoghurt covered raisins, strawberry, cranberries and whole almonds.
- Mochacchino – a rich blend of coffee sultanas, cranberries, whole cashew nuts, dark chocolate coffee beans and coffee flavour chocolate drops.
The small boy couldn’t get enough of these Real handful snacks, admittedly he kindly donated the nuts to me and his dad, but the dried fruit and chocolate were a real hit. I only managed to try the Mochacchino flavour (the small boy shaped plague of locusts had snaffled the rest) but I really enjoyed the mix of fruit and nuts with a smattering of chocolate, these would be great with a mid-afternoon brew to keep me going until teatime.
These are the perfect size to slip into your bag if you’re going out and about, or to keep in your desk drawer for when hunger strikes and are great if you’re wanting to snack a little healthier.
You can buy Real Handful from Holland & Barrett, Ocado and Harris & Hoole, prices start from £1.29. Visit their website for more information.
I was sent these Real Handful snacks for review purposes. All images and opinions are our own.