Over the weekend we experimented with making our own butter at home. One of the by-products of the butter making process is that you’re left with a jug of buttermilk. Buttermilk is supposed to be brilliant for making soda bread and scones with, though I’d not tried it in scones before. Waste not, want not, so I whipped up a batch of blueberry scones to use up the buttermilk. The result was the most incredible, light as air scones I’ve ever made – even my Nan would’ve been impressed with these blueberry and buttermilk scones!
- 14 oz self raising flour
- 3 oz caster sugar
- 1 tsp bicarb of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 oz butter or margarine
- 8 fl oz buttermilk
- 100g of fresh blueberries
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees or Gas Mark 7.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add your softened butter or margarine and rub until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add your buttermilk and mix, the dough will be a bit wetter than a standard scone recipe - this is normal, don't be tempted to add more flour. Once combined, add your blueberries and gently mix in until fairly evenly distributed.
- Roll the mixture out so it's approx 2cm thick, I did this on a piece of greaseproof paper because the texture of the dough was quite wet.. Cut into 12 rounds and put on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. I brushed the tops of my scones with a beaten egg before baking.
- Serve plain, or with butter, or blueberry jam, or cream, or everything you can fit onto your scone. They're delicious slightly warm with a little dollop of jam.
To date the picture I look of my luscious blueberry and buttermilk scones has been my most popular images on Instagram. I can’t look at it without feeling hungry and wanting to make a fresh batch.
These airy-fairly light blueberry and buttermilk scones were the best ones I’ve ever made, and I’ve made hundred of scones in my lifetime. They are delicious eaten plain, or lovely buttered or warmed and served with blueberry jam, cream and a pot of tea.
Delicious homemade buttermilk blueberry scones with blueberry jam and cream #creamtea #blueberries #scones #teanandscones #afternoontea #recipedevelopment #foodstyling #foodphotography #foodporn #instafood #buzzfeast #feedfeed #foodstagram #foodspotting #foodpics @thefeedfeed #f52grams #buzzfeedfood #beautifulcuisines #superfood #healthy #everydaysuperfood #foodblogger #foodies #foodgasm #foodstagram #foodbloggersofinstagram #Didsbury #Manchester #nofilter
Once you’ve tried these delicious light as a feather buttermilk scones, you’ll never go back, I promise you’ve never had scones THIS good!