This May is Mental Health Awareness Month. In the UK we have Mental Health Awareness Week, which this year is 12th-18th May. This year the focus is on anxiety which is something which affects a huge amount of people, me included.
Given that a lot of people who Google “Anxiety” seem to end up on my blog, reading about my struggles, mainly with anxiety, but also depression, self harming and suicidal thoughts, I thought it was about time I pulled together an anthology of my misery and musings on mental health.
Some are hopeful and positive, some are me bouncing off the walls bonkers, most are me just getting things out of my head and making me feel better. Have a root around, please have a read about what takes your fancy, ignore what doesn’t. If you find something useful, or something that resonates then great.
If you’re struggling reach out, reach out to a friend, a lover, your GP, The Samaritans, anyone. Someone will listen and although it might not feel like it right now or when you’re in a dark hole, someone will care. You are not alone.
So in no particular order…
- Anxiety…again – My personal battle with anxiety & what I do for self care.
- Rejection – How lack of self esteem taints my life.
- PTSD and Me – An episode of PTSD.
- My Scars – Some from life, some from self harm.
- Medication’s What You Need – Anti-depressants and me.
- Selfish – My depression makes me a selfish, horrible person.
- Today (Suicide & Self Harm) – Going through a dark, dark time.
- Birdhouse in your Soul – My first PTSD trigger & start of my deterioration.
- 2013: The Year I Survived – Overview of the year I developed my mental health problems.
- The night before my life began again – A year on from my first op, I’m starting to deal with it.
- Sleep but don’t dream – Insomnia, panic attacks and anxiety.
- Goodnight Vienna – I don’t have the balls to kill myself.
- Positive Thoughts – Positive thoughts and self care.
- An Open Letter to a Friend – Small, unremembered acts of kindness are what makes you great.
- Empty – I feel dead inside…it’s a coping mechanism, but not healthy
- Stupid – My mental health is ruining my friendships.
- Just OK – I don’t need your validation. But I do really.
- No Regrets – I mess up, I’m human. All about regret and guilt.
- Here’s Where The Story Ends – Therapy and closure.
- I’m a Mental Patient too ASDA! – My response to their “mental patient” fancy dress costume
- World Suicide Prevention Day 2013